Another cooking day! It's a holiday for me but everyone else were busy so I decided to give my family a treat! My own carbonara pasta. It's just that I was too lazy to go out grocery shopping so I decided I was going to make something from the remaining ingredients from the new year's bolognaise. So I browsed for carbonara recipe and I got all the ingredients but three. 1. Heavy cream, 2. Pancetta and 3. Parmigiano-reggiano cheese a.k.a parmesan cheese. So I made a twist to the original recipe from Nigella Lawson, substitute the heavy cream with plain milk stirred with melted butter (3:1), the pancetta with smoked beef in my refrigerator, and the parmesan with the cheddar cheese, grated finely.
So here are the ingredients:
1 pound of spaghetti/penne/fettuccine or ANY PASTA YOU LIKE :)
1 cup of heavy cream (substituted :p)
1 cup of grated parmesan (substituted!)
6 slices of smoked beef (or more!)
salt n pepper
1 onion and 2 cloves of garlic (my own addition, I love garlic and onion and insist to add it into every single dish I cook :p)
How to make:
1. Boil about 5 glasses of water (750cc) add salt and butter, put in your pasta, and cook until al dente (check and taste! there's no other way knowing whether your pasta is cooked!), drain your pasta but save about a cup of the pasta water.
2. In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, cream, and cheese.
3. Saute the garlic and onion, add smoked beef, cook until crisp.
4. toss together the hot pasta, the egg mixture, and the sauted smoked beef, the heat from the pasta will cook the eggs and result in smooth creamy texture. Taste, if you feel it's too thick, thin it up by adding a little of the pasta water.
5. Add salt and pepper, and I added some black pepper for extra spice.
6. DONE! Serve immediately and drizzle some olive oil and add some garnish if you'd like to.
Serves 4-5 people for main dish
Everybody loved it! yeayness! Happy trying :)